Mold is a microscopic fungus that releases spores into the air. The spores settle on surfaces and grow, sometimes producing a musty smell.

Mold can appear as a discoloration of white, orange, green, brown or black growth. Mildew is a common mold.

There is no way to completely get rid of mold or mold spores. You can keep mold from growing and further developing by using water and detergent or bleach to clean moldy surfaces. Try to keep the humidity in your home below 60%. Be sure to fix leaky faucets or pipes right away.

The number one way to control mold build-up is to control moisture. Eliminating the moisture source will give the mold fewer friends and places to hang out and multiply.

Mold needs to be in a moist environment, with a water source, to survive. This is why it often grows in damp areas of the home. Most molds tend to thrive in warm or humid places, such as bathrooms, basement walls, showers and even refrigerators. The higher the humidity, the greater opportunity there is for molds to grow and populate your home.

People allergic to molds can have many symptoms when exposed. They may include:

  • Nasal congestion
  • Cough
  • Sneezing
  • Eye and skin irritations
  • Wheezing